Hey All You Cool Cats & Kittens!
Are you guys as obsessed with Tiger King on Netflix as I am? I LEGIT want to raid Joe Exotic's wardrobe. So, due to my current obsession, this mask-making tutorial is dedicated to all of you who have enjoyed some quality quarantine escapism via the INSANE lives of the "Big Cat Community". If you haven't watched it yet then I apologise - cabin fever has definitely arrived in our house. Also, go watch it immediately.
So, for my masks I've used the pattern created by Dr K Kwong - go to DIYMASK.SITE to download the free pattern in sizes babies to adults. I've been using the Ladies/Adult size for most of my masks - it fits most people.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED -
- Washed fabric for mask shell & lining - if you don't have spare fabric then go through your wardrobe or linen closet and upcycle some of your old goodies!
- Sewing machine & thread- or needle & thread if you're patient
- 10cm of plastic coated wire - or just wire wrapped in duct tape like I used
- 2 x 16cm of elastic - if you don't have any you could use hair elastics?
- Iron - optional
- 2 x 60cm of woven tape - or bias binding/ elastic/ string/ whatever works
Full disclosure - I'm not exactly known for my sewing skills so you can see that my seams are a bit wobbly and I'm definitely guilty of over-pinning but who cares? Just follow the steps above and you'll end up with a WASHABLE mask with a pocket to insert a homemade filter - you can use layers of tissue or paper towel or use a commercial filter if you have one. There is more info on filters at DIYMASK.SITE.
Sending Big Cat cuddles to all of you!
Love, Jess Exotic xoxo